当前位置

首页 > 口语英语 > 实用生活英语口语 > The english we speak(BBC教学)第130期:To Nick 偷窃和逮捕

The english we speak(BBC教学)第130期:To Nick 偷窃和逮捕

推荐人: 来源: 阅读: 1.05W 次

The english we speak(BBC教学)第130期:To Nick 偷窃和逮捕

Helen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Helen.

海伦:大家好,欢迎收看地道英语节目。我是海伦。

Rob: And I'm Rob.

罗布:我是罗布。

Helen: I saw you looking for your headphones earlier; did you find them?

海伦:我看到你刚刚在找耳机。你找到了吗?

Rob: No, Helen. I looked for them everywhere. Someone must have nicked them.

罗布:没有,海伦。我到处都找过了。肯定是被人偷了。

Helen: Nicked them? What do you mean?

海伦:Nicked?那是什么意思?

Rob: Oh, sorry, what I mean is someone stole my headphones. To nick something means to steal something.

罗布:哦,抱歉,我的意思是有人偷了我的耳机。To nick something的意思是偷某物。

Helen: That's terrible. But how is it spelt?

海伦:那真糟糕。不过那个词要怎么拼?

Rob: It's spelt N.I.C.K. nick, to nick something.

罗布:拼写是N.I.C.K。to nick sth.偷某物。

Helen: My son's best friend is called Nick. It's the same spelling, isn't it?

海伦:我儿子最好的朋友的名字就是尼克。拼写是一样的,对吧?

Rob: It is, but not the same meaning. Here the word 'nick' is a verb and it's British slang too.

罗布:一样,但是意思不同。这里nick这个词是个动词,是英语俚语。

Helen: Let's hear a couple of examples. What items have been stolen?

海伦:我们来听几个例子。看看有什么物品被偷了?

Man: Someone nicked my bike this morning.

男:今天上午有人偷了我的自行车

Lady: Oh, no. Did you report it to the police?

女士:哦,不。你报警了吗?

Man: Yes, I did.

男:已经报警了。

Man 1: Where are the chocolate biscuits I was saving? I am sure I saw them yesterday.

男1:我收起来的巧克力饼干去哪里了?我确定我昨天还看到过。

Man 2: Sorry, I don't know. Blame Dave, he's always nicking things.

男2:抱歉,我不知道。问问戴夫,他总是偷东西。

Rob: So, one of them lost a bike and the other one lost his chocolate biscuits.

罗布:所以,他们其中一个人丢了自行车,另一个丢了巧克力饼干。

Helen: Unlucky chaps. Maybe the police can help them.

海伦:不幸的家伙。也许警察能帮助他们。

Rob: Yes. The police can definitely help them by nicking those petty thieves.

罗布:对。警察绝对会帮他们抓住那些小偷。

Helen: That's very confusing. The police can nick too? They can steal?

海伦:这真令人困惑。警察也会偷东西吗?他们也偷东西?

Rob: No, no, no, no. The police can't nick things from people. But when they arrest someone, we can say the person is nicked. It means they're arrested by the police.

罗布:不,不,不是那个意思。警察不会从民众那里偷东西。警察逮捕罪犯,这个时候我们就可以说那个人被逮捕了。意思是他们被警察逮捕了。

Woman: Have you heard from Inspector James?

女:你有检查官詹姆斯的消息吗?

Man: No. He's working on a big case. I think they have just nicked the main suspect!

男:没有。他正在办一个大案子。我想他们已经抓住主要嫌犯了!

Helen: So if a criminal is caught by the police, then we can say he's nicked.

海伦:所以,如果罪犯被警察抓住了,我们就可以说he's nicked。

Rob: That's right. Let's go over the two meanings of the verb 'to nick'. First, if something is nicked, it means it's stolen.

罗布:没错。我们再来回顾一下动词nick的两个意思。第一个意思,如果某件东西is nicked,意思是这件东西被偷了。

Helen: Like my pen got nicked.

海伦:比如我的钢笔被偷了。

Rob: Yes, that's right. But if a person gets nicked, we mean he's arrested by the police.

罗布:对,没错。但是如果一个人gets nicked,意思是他被警察逮捕了。

Helen: A comedian got nicked for throwing a pie at Rupert Murdoch.

海伦:一名喜剧演员因向鲁珀特·默多克扔馅饼而被捕。

Rob: Yes, he did. Helen, you've got it. Just remember it's not a formal expression.

罗布:对,没错。海伦,你完全掌握了这个词。要记住这不是个正式表达。

Helen: Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Bye for now.

海伦:谢谢你。我会记住的。现在该说再见了。

Rob: Bye!

罗布:再见!

重点讲解:
1. look for
找;寻;
eg. We all need to look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
我们都需要寻求降低碳排放量的方法。
eg. As the tide receded we were able to look for shells.
潮水退去,我们就能寻找贝壳了。
2. hear from
接到…的信(或电话);
eg. Drop us a line, it's always great to hear from you.
给我们写封短信,能收到你的信总是让人很高兴。
eg. I expect to hear from you as soon as possible.
我期待着能尽快得到您的消息。
3. go over
检查;复习;回顾;重温;
eg. At every competition, the judges have an initial meeting where we go over the general rules.
在每次比赛前,所有裁判会有一个会议来回顾一遍所有的规则。
eg. Let's go over some of these elements mentioned above so you can get a better idea of what I mean.
让我们重温一下上面提到的概念,这样你可以更好的理解我的意思。
4. keep sth. in mind
牢记;放在心上;
eg. We must keep this lesson in mind.
我们要记住这个教训。
eg. That's something we have always to keep in mind.
那是我们应该经常记在心里的。